Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Squash Central

This year we decided to plant squash in our garden. We planted 2 spaghetti squash, 8 sweet meats, 4 crook necked squash, 4 zucchini, and 4 pumpkins. As you can see from the first picture, they are thriving and have taken over and we have a squash jungle. Brett said that he is just going to mow around the plants because they are starting to wander on to the grass and the patio. We also planted tomatoes and some jalapenos along the back fence and they are doing great too, and I'm hoping we'll have a good crop before the end of the growing season.

I think it's really fun to have a garden and watch things grow. I especially love cooking with fresh ingredients. It helps me to be more creative in the kitchen--You'd be amazed how many ways I can cook zucchini--haha!!


This is the harvest from Saturday, one of our zucchini plants is producing albino zuccini's! Colby and I made zucchini bread on Sunday and I made it again at the Armstrong's when I was babysitting yesterday. I think all of those zucchini jokes are going to apply to us this year. I'm sure I am going to need to abandon some zucchini's, zucchini bread, zucchini muffins, zucchini cookies, and zucchini brownies throughout Blackfoot this summer, I just found two more big ones yesterday that were hidden and then suddenly ginormous.

Here's another funny thing that happened over the weekend. Brett and I were in bed and we heard a giant thud outside. Brett thought that someone had jumped over our fence...that's how loud it was. I was pretty sure it was an apple from our tree, so in the morning I told Colby to go take a look. This is what he came back with. He even named it Apple-Stein. Unfrotunately Apple-Stein was huge but not tasty so we threw him away. We really pruned that tree back this year and it is producing huge apples. I'm hoping they will sweeten up so I can do something with them!

4 comments:

Micah and Jen said...

We'll have to call you guys the green thumb Yancey's!!! Amazing! Our garden is awful this year because I haven't been able to get out there and work in it....and the house projects have taken priority for Micah....Next year! And if you are in need of getting rid of some delicious fruits of your labor....our door is always open! :)

Julia said...

I am impressed! Seriously, Ade, is there anything you DON'T do? You're one multi-talented lady.

Joe and Victoria said...

You're a do it all mom, aren't ya?! I love it... it gives me someone to look up to as I begin my married life :) Love you!! (p.s. I started running again)

Highlights said...

LOL! I'm not....but I can cook with zucchini