Friday, May 8, 2009

Chocolate Mousse

Last night was my turn to host our monthly Girls Night Out. I have twelve friends that get together once a month, and once a year we all take a turn hosting. We eat dinner and play cards and it is such a fun break. Anyway, my friend Jenny posted this recipe for chocolate mousse a few weeks ago, and I've been eager to try it. Jenny is an excellent baker and cook and she shares my love of all things food.

This recipe is excellent and easy. It was the most decadent and delicious thing that I've had in my mouth for a long time. I made little chocolate cups to put it in and served it with fresh strawberries and blackberries. The pairing with the fruit was perfectly delicious and altogether irresistible. I had a bite of it for breakfast because I think I had dreams about it. I highly recommend it!

here are a couple I put together for my in-laws today--sans strawberries

Chocolate Mousse

3/4 c Semi sweet chocolate chips
2 Lg. eggs, separated
2 Tbsp. water
1/8 tsp. cream of tartar
1 c. whipping cream
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt chips in a double boiler (or glass bowl over boiling water). Stir yolks and water in small bowl and set aside. When chocolate is melted, stir in yolk mixture. Continue to cook for one min. Set aside. Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff and stir into warm chocolate mixture. Let cool. Beat cream, sugar and vanilla until stiff (this is important!). Fold into chocolate mixture. Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

5 comments:

Allison Claire said...

Looks delicious! I want some now!

Kara Jorgensen said...

ummmm..........YUMMMMMMMMMM! I'm SO going to make that! How did you do the cups?

Highlights said...

You just melt your chocolate and then dip balloons in it (water balloon size) and then set them upright on a piece of parchment paper. When the chocolate hardens pop the balloons and voila!

Latter-day Runner said...

Thanks for posting the recipe! I don't really like the recipe I have for chocolate mousse, and I've been looking for a new one.

Pratt Fam said...

Gotta try it!