Saturday, June 6, 2009

A 5k and Foot Surgery

Today I ran the Pocatello Heart and Sole 5k in the freezing rain with some of my good friends. I decided to do the 5k because my foot has been killing me, and despite the hills and my foot, I was happy with my time which was 29:35! Yay!

I went to the podiatrist yesterday and he said my foot is "bad". I have to have surgery to have it corrected. The joint isn't even connected anymore and that is why I've been having so much pain recently. I was hoping for a quick fix, so I could do all of the races I've planned for this year, and then have surgery. Sadly, that wasn't the case. He did give me some orthotics to wear in my shoes that should take some of the pressure off the joint--so I hope they help. He didn't tell me to stop running but to just do what I could handle and he recommended doing some sports with less impact in the mean time. I cried on the way home.



I'll probably shoot for having the Bunionectomy in August or September after I finish teaching my cooking classes. I'll just stick to the 5k's and one more 10k this summer and just try to go easy on it I guess. It's a bummer but I should be able to start running and jumping around again after about six weeks.

5 comments:

Kelly said...

That really sucks, Ade!!! I've been so proud / jealous of your running. But you guys still have an eliptical, right? Maybe you could keep up your stamina with that? Anyway, I'm really sorry. It really blows.

theshaners said...

Shucks! Good luck with the surgery. Hopefully it will put you one step ahead in the end. :)

Latter-day Runner said...

I'm sorry that you have to reduce your running, but it will be a great time for cross-training. You'll come back stronger than ever.

Christy said...

You will be so much happier after that surgery is over. You can always make your come back for next spring and summer. I know it sucks but I think it will be a blessing to have it taken care of.

Yennigirl said...

Oh no! I'm so sorry for you but glad you found out what is wrong so you can fix it and get on with it.