Sunday, January 2, 2011

Christmas Morning 2010

We had a really nice Christmas and hope that all of our friends and family did too! We got up late (I can't believe my kids sleep in!). When I was a kid, we all snuck out in the middle of the night to check everything out. Then I know we had my parents up around six so we could open our presents! Oh well, I'm not really complaining, I just think it's weird. My kids are weird. Anyway, as you can see from the pictures the kids were excited and happy with the things they got. Brett and I were happy too and it was fun to see their reactions.

After we opened presents we started getting breakfast ready and we called to see if grandma and grandpa Yancey wanted to join us. We tried gingerbread pancakes with buttermilk syrup for the first time and I LOVED THEM. I made some regular buttermilk pancakes too but wow they were delicious--we had sausage and orange juice too.

After breakfast we continued watching "Fiddler on the Roof"--it's tradition! I loved that we were able to just relax a little bit and I was even able to break in my new shoes on the treadmill. Later that day we went to grandma and grandpa's to have prime rib and visit with Scott and Kara Lee too. Colby said something so funny after dinner. Someone said how good they thought the meal was and Colby said, "Well I don't know about you but I thought Thanksgiving was a little better." LOL! We're gonna work on that filter system.

 Jolie getting some help from Daddy

 Colby so excited that he got an electric tooth brush--
both kids brushed their teeth after they opened them hahaha!

 Luke loves Christmas

 More Presents!


 Colby's "surprise" gift, a Sax knife that Brett and I found.
I thought he was going to explode with excitement!

Merry Christmas!

Gingerbread Pancakes

3 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar
1-1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup water
1/4 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
2 1/2 cups white unbleached flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
4 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix eggs and brown sugar until well combined. Add buttermilk, water and espresso powder, and stir to combine. In another large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cloves, cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg. Add the liquid ingredients to the flour mixture and stir just until combined. Stir in the melted butter. Cook on an electric skillet heated to between 325-350 degrees F. Serve with the delicious and bad for you Buttermilk Syrup listed below.

Buttermilk Syrup


1 1/2 cups white sugar
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Directions:
In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat, and stir in the vanilla.

2 comments:

Aimee said...

Your kids are getting so big! I have loved all of your updates! I will definitely have to try out the pancakes, they sound delicious.

By the way, my kids sleep in on Christmas too. I have NEVER brought up anything to do with getting up early, so we usually get to start our Christmas morning around 9am. Considering I am usually up until the wee hours wrapping, it's fine by me!

SweetmamaK said...

Looks like a good haul. I love the knife too. Rebecca Jones has a good idea for gifts, check out her blog about three gifts.