I went in for my weekly appointment which started with a non-stress test at 8:30 am. Colby and I dropped Jolie off at my good friend Jenny's so she could be spoiled and pampered while we were at the appointment. She also had to go to Jenny's so I could actually sit through a 20 minute stress test and go to my regular appointment right after.
The non-stress test was perfect. He was still happy in my belly and just as active as he had been in the previous two weeks. When the test was done we headed to the office. Colby waited in the waiting room with a book while I did my routine check in (weight, blood pressure, urine test etc...) then I waited in the exam room for my midwife Nicole to come in and listen to the baby. She sat down and talked to me for a minute and asked me if I wanted her to "stir things up". I was shocked because I didn't think they would strip my membranes until I was 40 weeks and I was only 39 weeks and 1 day. I was so ready to go, I just about cried. I had been having a lot of nerve pain in my upper legs that would buckle me in half, I wasn't sleeping well, I was getting more and more tired, I could no longer chase my Jolie, and I was having bladder issues. Needless to say, I was so relieved that she said that.
She checked me out and my huge belly was already measuring 41 weeks. The baby had quite a growth spurt in the previous week and that explained some of my misery! I was also dilated to a 4, 100% effaced and my bag of water was bulging. She decided it would be okay to strip my membranes. I would have to say, that was uncomfortable. Anyway, she told me that if stripping my membranes worked, that I was going to go fast, so I had to make sure and get to the hospital quickly.
Colby and I hurried back to Blackfoot and got Jolie. In the meantime, I called Brett and asked him to come home, and Alysia to see if my kids could come over to her house for a little while if I went into labor. By the time Brett got home I had been contracting at 4 minutes apart for about 45 minutes, so we went and dropped the kids off and headed to the hospital! I told Brett there was no need to go 100 mph because I wasn't anywhere near the intensity of pain that I was in on the way to the hospital with Jolie. He complied and we got there safely and in a timely manner haha!
When Nicole checked me again I was already a 6+ so we walked over to the hospital to labor and delivery. We got settled in and they monitored my contractions for a little bit and then broke my water (It was around 12:30). From this point, I would have to say this was the most wonderful birthing experience that I have ever had. I am so happy with the results of all my pregnancies ie: cute healthy babies, but this by far was the best day. The circumstances of Colby's birth were so stressful, and Jolie came so fast that there really was no time to wrap my head around what was happening, but this one was perfect.
I opted to not have any medication again because I knew I could handle it and because I was pretty sure my labor would be fairly quick. I also made this choice because I felt much better after Jolie was born without the epidural and I loved how alert she was. I wasn't hooked up to anything so I got to go through labor in several places/positions. I used the birthing ball, the shower, the floor, the shower again, yes even the toilet at the very end. The lights were dim and there was music playing--it was really calming. Brett, Nicole and Pam (the labor and delivery nurse) all took turns rubbing my back while I contracted on the birthing ball. It really helped! The shower was also relaxing. Mostly I think I liked the fact that I didn't have to just lie in a bed on my back. It was good to move around and distract myself from the contractions that were steadily getting stronger.
Nicole would check the baby's heart rate every so often to make sure he was doing ok. After he dropped all the way and was engaged, his heart rate started to drop and I was finally experiencing the pain you want to run away from, and breathing a lot harder, so I knew we were getting close. We moved to the bed and I was on all fours again to hopefully help the baby's heart rate. I started pushing my little heart out and I remember turning to Brett and saying "this part sucks!" and I went back to work. My head was buried in the pillow and I pushed and I pushed. I could feel his head crowning and I could NOT figure out why he wasn't coming out. After much burning pressure, and many many guttural grunts and pushing noises he finally came out. Then I realized why I had been having trouble. It was because he was HUGE and my throat was sore. Nothing mattered anymore though because he was out. He was finally here after being pregnant for what felt like forever. He was perfectly wonderful and covered in baby goo and as Nicole handed him to me so I could feel that delicious weight on the top of my chest instead of inside me I was overwhelmed with love. It was even MORE wonderful to look over at my dear husband and see the same feelings I was having brimming over in his eyes. I loved it.
Brett cut the cord and the NICU nurses took Luke from us for a few minutes so they could check him out, get him breathing a little better, weigh him etc.. In the mean time, I had to be stitched up because I earned a second degree tear with this experience. Then I got him back and I got to feed him and snuggle him and kiss him. It was so worth it! I am so grateful that I get to care for this little boy and that he is a part of our family.
Having another baby has really made me remember when Colby was a baby and what a life saving miracle he was for me. It's helped me think about Jolie too because suddenly she isn't the baby anymore. She's a smart little girl who tells stories and jokes and has thoughts and opinions about everything. It's made me think about how I talk to my kids and discipline too because I have been trusted to care for them by our Heavenly Father and I really do need to do my best to love them and take care of them and teach them to be good. I love them so much and I'm excited to see what Luke will be like.
It's been just over two weeks now and he is doing really well. He's sleeping pretty good and eating like a champ. We're all adjusting to life with 5 in the family and today we even ventured to Idaho Falls for lunch and to get Colby some school clothes. Luke is a little sweetheart and we all adore him.
On the scale--yes 9 lbs 13 oz is 44.5 grams!
Here's our whole family of 5!
Sweet
Luke was pretty beat up after coming out. He couldn't even open his right eye, so he kind of looked around like a pirate. He was also bruised around his top lip which contributed to his jaundice. He was still so cute to me. I love his chub. I love his double chin.
Luke was readmitted to the hospital when he was about 72 hours old because of jaundice. His biliruben levels were way too high and so we had to spend two nights in the hospital under the bili-lights. it really stressed me out because I just wanted him to be ok. I was also very sleep deprived by then and hormonal from just giving birth so it was really hard for me to have him in an incubator for 2-1/2 days. The nurses were very kind and the doctors taking care of us were great too, but I was so relieved when we got to go home even though Luke still had to be under the lights.
9 comments:
Congratulations! I am so glad things went well!
Congrats! You are such a trooper. I can't fathom having a baby natural, let a lone a 9 pounder! He's handsome. Good work :)
He is such a cute little peanut!!!
So Sweet! Luke it a lucky kiddo to have a Mom like you!!! Congrats!
oh, he is just beautiful! yay for babies and yay for natural childbirth! you, my dear, are my idol. :)
Congratulations!
He is adorable! I loved reading your birth story Ade :) You are such a great mommy and I'm so happy for you and Brett! Your family is beautiful!
aww he's super cute- i love the light bed- it's sooo sci fi!
congratulations and way to go!!
Post a Comment